FORT COLLINS, Colo. – This Saturday, concerned Coloradans will join others around the world for EMR Action Day – to highlight their concerns about the safety of electromagnetic radiation found in wireless Internet, cordless phones, microwaves TV and radio and other sources.
Virginia Farver of Fort Collins has been fighting for protection from EMR for six years, after her son died from brain cancer that the doctor said was caused from cell phone radiation.
"I don't own one anymore and I do not have Wi-Fi in my home and I try to avoid this stuff as much as possible, which has led me into this smart-meter fight," she states.
Farver, like others around the country, is protesting the forcible installation of smart meters by utility companies that monitor energy usage.
In March, after months of her protests against a wireless meter, Fort Collins Power and Light came to her home with police to install a meter.
A representative from the utility says the meter it installed was in fact manually read, and has no broadcast capabilities.
Susan Clarke, a member of the EMR Action Day, did research at Harvard University on the biological effects of radio frequency radiation.
She chooses to live her life free of cell phones and Wi-Fi, and says it is possible.
"People find that they sleep better, they feel so much better, they can think better, remember better, and their behavior is actually better too,” she maintains. “We all act, let's say, in a more kind and loving way toward each other when we're not bombarded by unnatural electromagnetic radiation."
Farver plans on buying a shield for the smart meter box that will offer her greater protection, but she can't do anything to protect her from neighboring meters.
Under the Energy Policy Act of 2005, smart meters are to be installed upon customer request, but Farver says that stipulation is being ignored.
"This is what's happening across the nation,” she stresses. “They are not telling anybody about these, they are just coming through the night and basically within a few days get all these meters installed before anybody really realizes what's going on," she says.
Farver's son Rich was one of at least eight people to die of brain cancer on the San Diego State University campus from 2008 to 2010. They all worked in close proximity to the same cell tower.